Saturday, March 22, 2008

the wild ones

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary sends me a bi-monthly magazine, since Helene sponsored a horse for me and I was moved to do some sponsoring myself. It is beautifully produced -- filled with inspirational stories and many wonderful photographs.

In it I discovered an article about an exhibit documenting wild horses in Idaho by photographer Elissa Kline. Her website has a link to the Best Friends article (under the News section) along with the full range of her amazing images. The exhibit “Herd But Not Seen” consists of nearly life-sized images of wild horses which float on translucent cotton panels throughout the space. She is hoping to show this awareness-raising exhibit in all 10 states with wild-horse populations, as well
as somewhere near Washington, DC “where people who make the laws are.”

My own awareness of wild horses was re-kindled recently by a friend who mentioned that he walked by an exhibit in Soho he thought I would enjoy: The Wild Horses of Sable Island. The Green Horse Society website chronicles these individual horses and the life of the herd on the the tiny sand bar of Sable Island, 160 miles off the coast of Nova Scotia.

Abaco Island in the Bahamas also has a wild horse population.

Informational links from the Best Friends article:

Return to Freedom American Wild Horse Sanctuary

American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign

Wild Horse Sanctuary

Let ‘Em Run Foundation, Inc.

1 comment:

Mike "Hawk" Huston said...

Hua Kola Debra, I really enjoyed your site. You are one tallented lady, I have never heard of the CENTERED riding.I grew up riding horses and have enjoyed thousands of miles of riding across all sorts of diverse terrain. For me the wild Mustangs are the horse of choice, although I ride a quarter horse whom I have ridden for years also. For me there is no style of riding. If you stay on, it was a good ride... If you don't it was still a good ride you just have to catch the horse again. I will return to your site and read some more of your blog....I love to learn new and exciting ways of horsemanship. Keep your chin to the wind... Hawk a/ho