Thursday, December 27, 2007

best friends

Among the special new friends I have met this year through riding, is my intrepid traveling companion, Helene. She teaches me through her constant example of kindness and great sensitivity to animals. She is always thinking of our equine friends – what does this one need, how is so-and-so feeling…and she takes action – purchasing items to make them more comfortable or starting a small campaign to help a horse find a new home.

Helene shared her generous spirit this Christmas by sponsoring a rescued horse for me at Best Friends Animal Society in Utah. Please take a moment to look at their inspiring site – you might fall in love with some special friends there and be moved to do some sponsoring yourself, as was I:

Shown above is “my” horse Dee. He is certainly the oldest horse I have heard of! Now he is living out his remaining years with love and good care, along with the 1,500 other animals to be found at the sanctuary on any given day. You can read about him here:

G.I. Gurdjieff said that we should practice loving plants and animals first so that we might eventually develop the capacity for truly loving other human beings. He also said that horses and dogs are the only animals that realize they are not, but long to be, human.

No comments: