Tuesday, November 17, 2009

always saddle your own horse



My aikido and horse riding friend from Boston, Midge, emailed me a very tempting video -- somehow I had a feeling that it would be better to wait and watch it in the comfort of my own home. So tonight I sat down to enjoy the trailer of the American Cowgirl, and cried like a baby through all three viewings so far.

Really touching is the profile of 101-year-young Connie Reeves, who at that age was still riding every day!

“The past is dead unless somebody records it…my life’s not important to very many people. But, what I have done may be something that will motivate someone else. I hope so.” - Connie Reeves

From the story “A Cowgirl’s Final Ride” in the St. Petersburg Times Floridian, published at her death:

"Initially she meant just that: 'Saddle your own horse, develop a relationship with your horse,' said Meg Clark. But as with everything that Connie said, it had a much greater meaning, just as her life did. Ultimately, what she meant was: 'Take responsibility for your life. Saddle your own horse and live that life the way you choose to.'"

Enjoy the trailer embedded above and visit the American Cowgirl website to read the many wonderful stories and see the great photographs by creator Jamie Williams.

1 comment:

Aleksandra Michalska said...

Great, great story and a great video!