Saturday, January 26, 2008

greater than the sum

Years of familiarity with the movements, rituals and rhythm which create any given aikido class afford me the luxury to explore the “bigger picture” in my own training. What is the nature of the interaction taking place? How can I generate the most power with the least amount of effort? How do I get out of my own way so that the forces of gravity and momentum begin to work to my advantage? Experience has taught me that the more I can find a way to let my center initiate and execute the movement, the more effective my techniques become. A phrase which comes often to mind: the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Even when teaching a class full of beginners, I like to incorporate the idea that the movements created by O Sensei (the founder of aikido) are trying to teach us to use ourselves in an integrated way. Of course, I can hear those newer students thinking in exasperation (as I do when describing some of my experiences as a beginning rider) “easier said than done!” How can I consider the whole when I don’t yet know all the parts? Add to this the highly interactive nature of the art – learning to stay centered while blending with and redirecting aggressive energy -- it is a lot to keep track of.

The details of technique are of course important. But what manner of directing attention might allow more of the moving parts to take care of themselves, to find their own place in the larger dynamic movement? This is where familiarity with underlying principles is useful. Awareness of the center (of gravity), soft eyes (diffused to enhance peripheral vision), allowing weight to fall underside (grounding), extending energy (ki), awareness of breathing – when we practice with these principles in mind, other layers of detail can be superimposed. These principles can also begin to inform everyday activities.

Learning about riding through the
Centered Riding technique developed by Sally Swift is renewing my connection to these basic principles, and has both enhanced and reinvigorated my aikido training. And because the Alexander Technique was such a big influence on Sally Swift, I often reflect on how his discovery is interwoven into her teaching tools. The synergies that exist between my interrelated endeavors are showing me, on a different level, how the whole really is greater than the sum of the parts.

The image above was taken after class today using my iPhone. My favorite photographs of aikido have a diffuse feeling to them, capturing some of the dynamic quality of the spiral movements. This one seems to convey the interaction as a whole, with just the detail of one hand slightly more in focus.

No comments: